Healthiest Weight Florida
The number one public health threat to Florida's future is unhealthy weight.
Currently, only 36 percent of Floridians are at healthy weight. On our current trend, by 2030, almost 60 percent will be obese. Being at a healthy weight can reduce a person's risk of several serious health conditions including heart disease, diabetes, stroke and certain cancers. For those at an unhealthy weight, even a modest loss (5 to 10 pounds) can have a positive impact on health. Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight can also improve energy levels, sleep habits, self-esteem, psychological health and reduce health care costs.
- Increase opportunities for physical activity
- Increase access to healthy foods
- Promote health in the workplace
- Strengthen schools as the heart of health
- Increase public awareness of unhealthy weight and its associated health consequences
The overall goal is to bend the weight curve by 5% by 2017.
For more information on Florida's Healthiest Weight, visit http://www.healthiestweightflorida.com/index.html.